Series Mania Institute launches the seventh Writers Campus call for applications!
Call for applications
For the 7th year in a row, the Writers Campus launches its call for applications: 16 professional writers from around the world with a project in development will be selected to take part in this one-week intensive workshop at the Creative Bazaar and at Series Mania Forum in Lille, March 15-21, 2024.
The Writers Campus is designed for individual or pairs of professional writers with a drama series project in development. The project must not be attached to a production company or TV channel/platform.
At the Creative Bazaar – Series Mania’s creative incubator, which includes several residencies – participating writers (solo or duo) will be accompanied for 4 days by two top-level mentors, in group and one-to-one meetings focusing on the preparation for the final pitch in front of the industry.
They will also have the opportunity to meet renowned showrunners and producers (Ron Leshem in 2023, Bryan Elsley in 2022, Amit Cohen in 2021, Eli Horowitz in 2020, the Jacquemetton duo in 2019, Sarah Treem in 2018…) during masterclasses and networking events.They will then take part at Series Mania Forum, where they will present their projects during a pitching session in front of the audiovisual industry.
- Having a project sufficiently advanced in its development to be pitched at Series Mania Forum
- Proof of relevant professional experience – in particular a previous project that has been broadcast (be it a TV/digital series, or a short or feature film) or have a broadcasting agreement for a first work about to be broadcast.
- Not being attached to a production or a distribution company until the end of the workshop (after the pitch session).
- English is the working language, and the language required for your application documents.
- Individual or pairs of screenwriters from all over the world are welcome to apply.
deadline to apply
The deadline to apply is November 30 2023, 11:59pm (CET). All applications received by email after this deadline will not be taken into consideration.
o 24/10/2023 : Launch of the call for projects.
o 30/11/2023 : End of the call for projects, 11:59pm (CET).
o End of January 2024 : Announcement of the selected participants by email.
o Mid-February : 1 day online for projects and mentors presentations
o 14/03/2024 : Arrival of the participants in Lille
o 15/03/2024 to 18/03/2024 : Workshop at the Creative Bazaar.
o 18/03/2024 to 21/03/2024 : Attendance and pitching session at Series Mania Forum at Lille Grand Palais.
In case of selection, each participant will have to pay a 550€ (incl. VAT) tuition fee*:
- Full pedagogical and mentoring programme at the Creative Bazaar.
- Series Mania Forum accreditation
- Visibility of you project on Series Mania+, the Series Mania digital platform
- Lunches at the Creative Bazaar (4 days)
Note: hotel**, transport, meals outside of the Creative Bazaar lunches and other personal expenses remain at the participant’s charge.
*We encourage participants to apply for financial support from their national/regional funding bodies.
**We can offer a booking service for your accommodation in Lille, from March 14 to 21 (7 nights, arriving on the 14 and leaving on the 21) – for an additional cost. For more information, please contact us via email.
To submit your application, you must also submit the following documents in English:
o A pitch deck of your series project (free format – only constraint: 10 pages max. cover and visuals included) including:
- Logline (max. 2 sentences)
- The series pitch (including format, arena, and season arc, tone and style).
- Brief synopsis of the pilot and subsequent episodes if available.
- Profiles of the main characters.
- A note of intention from the author(s).
Note: No production company or broadcasting channel should be attached to the project
o A resume
o A cover letter (explaining how the Writers Campus will help you develop this particular project and why it is relevant to pitch it at Series Mania Forum)
For applicants with a first project about to be broadcast: proof of agreement with a broadcaster.