Feature film directors venturing into series
SERIESMAKERS is a creative initiative which focuses on feature film directors who venture into the world of series created by Series Mania Forum & BETA Group.
SERIESMAKERS will select ten teams with an idea for a scripted TV series to participate in a tailor-made training program focused on developing a full pitch deck. Experienced mentors and A-list directors, showrunners, writers, and producers will guide new series creatives in online workshops.
At the end of the program, a jury will award two teams with a € 50,000 (fifty thousand Euros) award each to develop a pilot script and a bible with additional creative support.
Further, a third team will be awarded an award of €20,000 (twenty thousand Euros) as courtesy of the Kirch Foundation in collaboration with HFF (University of Television and Film Munich).
The awarded teams will be presented at Series Mania Forum 2024 and will be given the opportunity to participate at Series Mania Forum 2025 to present their projects.
ELIGIBILITY OF TEAMS
- The teams must consist of two creatives each: a director and a producer, or a director and a writer.
- The directors are required to have a minimum of one feature film (fiction only) screened in the official selection of an A-list film festival.
- Scripted TV series based on an original idea or a secured underlying property
- First season only
- Early stage of development
- Exclusivity: the project is not and will not be submitted to any other program, workshop, training initiative market event or funding institution during the Program. Further, neither the project nor any derivative project (such as a prequel, sequel, spin-off and remake) have been submitted to a previous edition of the Program.
- Number of episodes: min. 4 episodes, max. 12 episodes
- Length: min. 30 minutes, max. 60 minutes per episode
- Genres: all genres, e.g., drama, comedy, period, crime, sci-fi, except for kids/young adults
- Applications open: March 22, 2023
- Applications close: June 15, 2023, at 5:00 pm (CET)
- Notification of participants: By the end of October 2023
- First workshop (online): November 7 – 9, 2023 (3 days)
- Second workshop (online): January 23 – 25, 2024 (3 days)
- For submission, the Rules and Regulations* must be accepted.
- The application form must be fully completed.
- Only applications in English will be accepted.
- All elements must be submitted at once. After submission, it is not possible to edit the application.
- Only one submission per director will be considered.
- Submission and participation in the program are free of charge.
Applicants are required to submit the following documents:
- In English language and max. 10 pages total: Short presentation of the series consisting of a logline (max. 2 sentences) and synopsis, characters, story arch, creators’ note, tone and style, filmographies & contact details of applicants; visuals are optional and are included in the 10 pages.
- Please consider the mandatory formatting: A4, Calibri, 12 pt, 1.15 line spacing, margins min. 2.0 cm all sides.
If you have any questions, please consult the FAQ page or send an email to email@example.com.
*Rules and regulations may be subject to change.