The DEENTAL Series Workshop for writers and producers from African, Caribbean and Pacific countries is back for a third edition!
The DEENTAL Series Workshop is a professional workshop for writers and producers from African, Caribbean and Pacific countries launched jointly by the Series Mania and Fespaco festivals and the DEENTAL-ACP program, implemented by the CNC with the financial collaboration of the European Union and the support of the ACP (African, Caribbean and Pacific) States organization.
This year again, 4 projects carried by duos composed of a writer and a producer will be selected to take part in an intensive workshop week in Lille, from March 16 to 23,2023 in parallel with the Series Mania international Festival.
From March 17 to 20, 2023, the participants will be supervised by experienced professionals. They will attend workshops, masterclasses and individual sessions to develop their series project with their mentors.
Then, from March 21 to 23, 2023 the selected projects will participate in the Series Mania Forum and meet with accredited professionals. Series Mania and CNC teams will organize a dedicated program (networking, pitching session and meetings with professionals present at Series Mania (broadcasters, producers and distributors potentially interested…)).
WHO CAN APPLY ?
To be eligible, candidates must meet the following conditions:
- be nationals of an ACP country²
- be able to talk in English in a professional context
- have a fiction series project (in French or English)
- be looking for international financial partners or co-producers
The ACP countries are as follows:
²Africa : Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, South Africa, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Central African Republic, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago.
Pacific: Fiji, Cook Islands, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
WHat documents should i provide ?
- Fill the online application form, which is available here https://deental-series-mania.festicine.fr/or at the end of this website page.
- A 5-page mini-bible containing all the information needed to present the project (synopsis of the series, character arcs, note of intent from the creators, etc.). Please note : While French bibles are accepted, it is strongly recommended that you also submit an English bible. In case of selection, it will be mandatory for each team to provide a bible in English.
- Note of intent from the author
- Note of intent from the producer
- CVs of both applicants i.e one for the author and one for the producer
- A letter of application outlining the project’s background and the pair’s motivations, objectives and expectations for participation in the program in 2023
- Provisional financing plan (optional)
All documents must be submitted in English or in French.
Where and until when to apply ?
Applications must be sent by midnight (CET) on December 20, 2022 at the latest via the online application form. The documents to be submitted are to be loaded directly into the form.
What is covered ?
For the duration of the program, the following costs are included:
- Transport costs to and from the participant’s place of residence to the city of Lille
- Accommodation in Lille
- Participation in the activities proposed by the program (including accreditation)
What is the working language ?
The entire course will be conducted in English (workshop, masterclass, individual courses), as well as the pitches and individual meetings that will take place during the Séries Mania Forum. It is therefore essential to be able to express yourself in English in a professional context.
For further information, please refer to the rules or contact us directly.
- 25/10/2022: Call for project opens
- 20/12/2022: Closing date for submission at midnight (CET)
- End of January : Announcement of the official selection
- 16/03/2023: Participants’ arrival in Lille
- 17/03/2023 to 20/03/2023: Workshops, masterclasses and individual sessions with mentors
- 21/03/2023 to 23/03/2023: Participation in the Series Mania Forum and meetings with accredited professionals.
Selected duos must be fully available from the beginning to the end of the residency.
Since 2020, the DEENTAL programme, launched by the CNC with the financial collaboration of the European Union and the support of the ACP (Africa, Caribbean, Pacific) States organisation, awards financial bonuses to projects supported by the Aide aux cinémas du monde and/or the Fonds pour la jeune création francophone. It also provides for a support and strengthening of the sector.
About SERIES MANIA
Installed since 2018 in Lille, Séries Mania – Lille / Hauts-de-France has established itself as the largest European event entirely dedicated to series. Its festival offers previews of the best international series on the big screen, thus offering the public – up to 72,000 spectators – 9 days of discoveries, parties and meetings with some of the most renowned personalities in the world of series.
At the same time, the event welcomes 3,000 professionals from the world’s serial industry during the Séries Mania Forum and the Lille Dialogues. Two meetings for exchange and work that have become essential, and which have been extended in an unprecedented way since 2020 thanks to the creation of the online platform Séries Mania Digital Forum.
For more than 50 years, the Pan-African Film and Television Festival of Ouagadougou, born from the initiative of a group of film lovers, has been a key event in the annual festival calendar. It has become a key player in promoting the distribution of all works of African cinema, enabling contacts and exchanges between cinema and audiovisual professionals, and contributing to the growth, development and safeguarding of African cinema as a tool of expression and education.