The call for projects is now closed and the selected participants will be notified soon !
“BRING YOUR SERIES PROJECT TO THE INTERNATIONAL SCENE”
This training program is designed, organized and delivered by the SERIES MANIA INSTITUTE, the educational arm of the SERIES MANIA FESTIVAL.
It is targeted at Brazilian producer/showrunner pairs with a series project. The aim of the program is to give participants a good understanding of the international series market and, more specifically, practical advice on how to better apprehend the European co- production market.
Up to 8 projects will be selected. The participants will take part in the workshop, which will take place over 5 consecutive days in Rio de Janeiro, from October 1 to 5, 2023. The workshop will be conducted entirely in English.
The workshop is organized at the request of RioFilme, Projeto Paradiso, Rio Film Festival, SICAV, FIRJAN, Institut Français de Paris and the French Embassy in Brazil.
Entries must be submitted by a team consisting of a producer and a showrunner (i.e., a writing
director or screenwriter-director). To be eligible, candidates must prove Brazilian nationality or
permanent residence in Brazil.
To qualify as a “Showrunner”, the candidate must have either:
- written at least 2 episodes of a drama series (30/60 minutes), produced and broadcast, or
- written a series produced and broadcast on the Internet, with a total episode length of over 70 minutes, or
- be credited as writer or director of a feature film.
- To qualify as a “producer”, the candidate must have already produced a drama series (minimum of 4 episodes of 30/60 minutes), broadcast in Brazil (channel or platform).
Projects submitted must meet the following requirements:
- Category: TV series only (TV movies, feature films, etc. will not be accepted)
- Length: between 20 and 60 minutes per episode
- Genre: fiction series only (animation and documentary series are not accepted).
- Only original concepts for season 1 will be accepted. Book adaptations will not be accepted. Remake of foreign or domestic series, season 2s or series already broadcast will not be accepted.
The residency schedule will be structured as follows:
Monday 10/07/2023: Opening of the call for applications.
Thursday 31/08/2023 (5pm CET): Deadline for applications.
Friday 15/09/2023: Announcement of results (by e-mail to all applicants)
Sunday 01/10/2023 to Thursday 05/10/2023: Workshop in Rio de Janeiro (exact location to be determined)
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, the rules & regulations terms must be accepted.
- Applications may only be submitted by teams. Individual applications are not accepted.
- Only applications in English will be accepted.
- To participate in the selection process, applications must be submitted online via the dedicated website page (Submissions by e-mail, post or any other means will not be accepted):
Applying and taking part in the program are free of charge.
When applying, each team must provide the following elements at once, as it is not possible to save
and return to your application.
- A maximum 5-page pre-bible of the series you wish to work on during the workshop. It should include a seasonal layout and a description of the characters.
- A CV outlining the professional experience of each team member.
- Proof of Brazilian nationality (or permanent residence) for each participant (copy of passport or national identity card).
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org